Before Bariatric Surgery- Questions to Ask
Bariatric surgery aids in weight loss for morbidly obese patients. After the surgery, patients should adhere to permanent lifestyle changes and a strict diet and exercise regime.
Below is a list of questions you should ask your doctor before you undergo a weight-loss surgery.
- What are the reasons someone should undergo a weight-loss surgery or bariatric surgery?
- Is weight-loss surgery recommended for everyone who is overweight or obese? If yes, what procedure is appropriate for me?
- What is diabetes? High blood pressure? High cholesterol? Sleep apnea? Severe arthritis? Can these medical conditions improve after a weight loss surgery?
- Are there other methods of losing weight besides undergoing a weight loss surgery?
- Who is a nutritionist or a dietitian? What is their role in weight loss?
- What is a weight-loss program? Should I consider a weight loss program before I opt for a weight loss surgery? Am I a candidate for bariatric surgery?
- What are the different types of weight-loss surgery/procedures?
- Does the post-operative scar differ with the various weight loss procedures?
- Is the surgery painful? What will be done to relieve the pain?
- How long it will take to get better and what precautions aid in faster recovery?
- How much weight will I lose after the surgery? How long will it take to see the benefits? Is this weight loss permanent or temporary?
- What will the diet be like after weight-loss surgery? Any precautions to consider?
- What are the possible complications during and after weight loss surgery? What is the success rate?
- What precautions should I consider before surgery to lower my risk of complications? For which of my medical conditions (such as diabetes, heart disease, or high blood pressure) do I need to see my doctor before the surgery?
- Will I need much help when I come back home? Will I be able to get out of bed by myself? What type of food/medications/supplies will I need when I get home?
- How can I prepare myself emotionally for the surgery? What types of feelings can I expect to have? Will it help if I talk to people who have had weight-loss surgery?
- What medication should I take before and after the surgery? What medication should I avoid taking before surgery?
- What will the duration of my stay be in the hospital post the surgery?
- How long will the procedure last?
- What type of anesthesia will be used?
- What will the post-operative wound be like? How do I take care of it?
- How fast can I recover and lead a normal lifestyle? How much weight can I lift? When will I be able to drive? When will I be able to return to work?
- When will my first follow-up appointment be after surgery? How often will I need to see the doctor during the first year after my surgery? Will I need to see doctors other than my surgeon?